Biotechnology department was incepted in the year 2002 and Accredited by NBA
Having 12 professionally qualified faculty members and state-of-art laboratory, the department offers both Bachelors and Masters level courses which are affiliated to Anna University Chennai
B.Tech Biotechnology: full time course with 8 semesters with current annual intake of 60 students
M.Tech Biotechnology: full time course with 4 semesters with current annual intake of 18 students.
Since inception, department has bagged 130 Anna University Ranks (U.G-124 ranks & P.G-6 ranks) which includes 9 Gold medals (U.G -7 Gold medals & P.G- 2 Gold medals) and 8 Silver medals (U.G -7 Silver medals & P.G-1 Silver medal)
The department has received 'Research grant' of Rs. 59.75 lahks from DBT, DST and ICMR in 2015-16
To provide a world class department to facilitate learning, training and research in Biotechnology by providing infrastructural facilities and competent faculty leading to technological innovations to serve the global society
The Mission of the Department is to provide quality education to students and to produce competent Biotechnologists to meet the challenges faced by industry and mankind.
To inculcate high moral and professional standards among our students.
To develop the overall personality of the students.
i. To provide the necessary background in basic sciences like physics, chemistry, Computers and advanced mathematics and to provide opportunity for students for gaining knowledge in multidisciplinary subjects and labs.
ii. To provide training to design and solve problems relevant to the general practice of Biotechnological process development, product optimization, commercialization and social application taking into account their impacts on environment.
iii. To impart job related skills in the field of biotechnology with the awareness on professional codes and bioethical practices.
iv. To promote lifelong learning process for a successful professional career in industries and research organizations leading to successful employability.
Engineering Graduates will be able to
1. Recall factual information on broad knowledge based proficiency in core themes, principles and components of Basic Sciences.
2. Create and develop strategies that reflect the interdisciplinary nature of science, regulation and enterprise in the biotechnology industry.
3. Define and solve problems using scientific methods in biotechnology and allied subjects.
4. Consider implications of biotechnology in societal, environmental and educational frameworks.
5. Access current information and literature in science and Prepare and present scientific data.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of biological processes from the molecular and cellular perspectives.
7. Approach and solve biological problems critically with scientific literacy in individual and group settings.
8. Able to understand, analyze and apply the process engineering concepts an incredibly wide diversity of applications including pharmaceutical development, crop and livestock improvement, diagnostic and therapeutic medicine, industrial processing, and bioremediation of contaminated environments.
Engineering Graduates will be able to
1. Acquire in depth knowledge of Biological science and Bioengineering for gaining ability to develop and evaluate new ideas
2. Demonstrate Scientific and technological skills to design and perform research through modern techniques for the development of high throughput process and products.
3. Analyze Biotechnological problems and formulate intellectual and innovative vistas for research and development
4. Provide potential solutions for solving technological problems in various domains of Biotechnology considering the societal, public health, cultural environmental factors.
5. Examine the outcomes of Biotechnological issues critically and gain knowledge for composing suitable corrective measures.
6. Create and apply modern engineering tools for the prediction and modeling of complex bioengineering activities
7. Posses self management and team work skills towards collaborative,multidisciplinary scientific endeavors in order to achieve common goals
8. Develop entrepreneurial and managerial skills for the implementation of multidisciplinary projects
9. Demonstrate adherence to accepted standards of professional bioethics and socialresponsibilities
10. Posses the attitude necessary for lifelong and acquire communication skills relevant to professional positions
Engineering Graduates will be able to
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or process that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to proceed valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
1. Our graduates have strong knowledge in the field of biotechnology and applied sciences.
2. Our graduates will design and conduct experiments in biotechnology as well as analyze and interpret data.
3. Our graduates will use current techniques, skills and modern tools necessary for modeling and design of bioprocesses.
Copyrights © 2015 All rights reserved | Website Development Team